HISTORY OF AL MENAH SHRINERS
It had been 42 years since Dr. Walter Millard Fleming and 12 associates gave birth to the Shrine and there were 186,000 Shriners in North America, when a group of very active, energetic and devoted 32nd degree Scottish Rite Masons and Knights Templar of the Nashville and Middle Tennessee area organized a new Temple. A dispensation on May 8, 1912 officially initiated the impetus for Al Menah Temple. This was followed by its Charter on May 13, 1913 as the 131st Temple in North America. There were 314 charter members. All of these were Nobles already belonging to the Shrine. Given exclusive jurisdiction over the middle division of Tennessee, with the exception of the counties of Cumberland, Fentress and Van Buren, most were members of Al Chymia and Alhambra Temples of Memphis and Chattanooga, and others came from out-of-state Temples For ninety-five years, Al Menah Shriners has continued as one of the substantial institutions of Middle Tennessee. It was begun by, and has been nurtured by, many of the leading citizens of our communities. The charter members set high standards for the fraternity here and these standards have been faithfully guarded and protected by their successors. Always adhering to the best interest of society, it has maintained the respect of the people of Nashville and Middle Tennessee.
Over the years Al Menah Shriners has taken an active part in the civic affairs of Middle Tennessee. The Temple has from time to time conducted programs of entertainment for the children of orphanages, homes and institutions, conducted patriotic exercises, Nobility picnics and outings, flag distributions, school contests, concerts, and entertainment for Nashville Nobility and their Ladies. It has also provided shelter during emergencies. The Uniformed Units take a prominent part in the parades opening civil celebrations, National Flag Day and Memorial ceremonies, The Shrine Circus, the Shrine Paper Sale, and conventions.